Heart & Soul Magazine's Healthy, Wealthy and Wise Notes

The Online Newsletter for the Loyal Readers and Supporters of Heart & Soul Magazine

Sunday, January 06, 2008

New Mommy Files, Part 23

Can you tell that the holiday season had me in its cheery grip? Last we blogged I was about to get Raine ready for an early morning of shopping. Well, it didn’t happen. I got her up. Did my motherly duties of feeding and cleaning her and thought that we would be on our way to mall bliss. Well Raine had other plans. One, she had a diaper blow out. I washed and changed her again. Second, I guess she felt like a nice nap. So she napped as I watched the hours tick away. Under normal circumstances, a lengthy nap is a welcome occurrence. But not that day! Not my only day to hit the streets! But the alternative was to have a grumpy, tired baby on my hands in the middle of mall mania. No way. Not this elf. Needless to say, momma never made it out and what followed were crazy dashes here and there to the stores after work. But it all got done—by Christmas Eve.

This Christmas was different than most. Of course, it was Raine’s first Christmas, but it was also my first Christmas away from the family. It really hit me that I was a grown up with my own family to worry about. We did the Christmas thing with Raine’s two half brothers. They were determined to spend the holidays with their baby sister, and I’m glad we made it happen. So for a week I was responsible for 3 tykes. I must admit it was mostly Daddy-o who did the caretaking. I didn’t take time off for the holidays (it really wasn’t planned that way-I swear), so I worked while he watched the kids. He did a great job. I just had to go on duty as soon as I entered the door in the evening. I felt this overwhelming urge to educate them. I figured I had to read to them. Keep them from playing games 24-7. I can at least say that they didn’t lose any brain cells while they were here! But having kids around helped to shake off the holiday hum drums—all of the hustle and bustle and money! But the sheer joy in the kids’ faces when they turned the corner and saw the tree was truly priceless.

And drum roll please…Raine can now walk! At 10 months (nearly 11) she was moved to take a few steps over the holidays. I think we better hold on because Bam Bam (as we lovingly call her) gets into enough as it is. Now that she’s getting this walking thing down, she will only find more goodies to destroy.

And another drum roll please…I’ve been feeling mighty old lately and feeling like I had "middle-aged mother" stamped on my head. Not that I’m looking, but an occasional inappropriate “Hey shorty” is welcome from time to time just for self-esteem reasons. So, I just went downstairs to grab something to eat and a youngin’ (we’re talking early 20s) followed me into the food joint to ask if we could “talk” for a minute. I declined the invitation, of course, but could momma be getting her mojo back for the ’08?

Marcia Caster
Senior Editor, Beauty and Fashion
mcaster@heartandsoul.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home