Heart & Soul Magazine's Healthy, Wealthy and Wise Notes

The Online Newsletter for the Loyal Readers and Supporters of Heart & Soul Magazine

Monday, March 17, 2008

Diabetes Diary, Part 3

For as long as I can remember, my smile has been my vanity. But despite a lifetime of twice daily brushing and flossing, my dentist recently confirmed that I have periodontal, or gum, disease: Plaque has begun to destroy the gums and bone around my teeth.

While anyone can develop periodontal disease, people with diabetes are more susceptible to it—probably because we’re more prone to infections. The American Academy of Periodontology, in fact, calls gum disease “the sixth complication of diabetes.” The good news for me is that my condition is “moderate.” (I won’t lose any teeth!) My mouth will be restored to relative good health after just a few dental visits.

Once diagnosed, I wasted no time starting treatment. At my first visit, my dentist probed my teeth to measure the space, or pockets, between them and the surrounding gums. During my second visit, the dental hygienist performed scaling and root-planing on the right side of my mouth--a procedure that removes plaque and tarter from below the gumline. On my next visit, this Thursday, the hygienist will scale and root-plane the left half of my mouth. After that, my dentist wants me to increase my dental visits from two to three times a year.

But periodontal disease is also linked to diabetes control. People with uncontrolled blood glucose levels may develop gum disease more often and more severely--and may loose more teeth—than those with good control, according to the American Diabetes Association. This is yet another reason for me to improve my diabetes self-care.

In addition, people with or who are at risk for diabetes may not know or experience all of the warning signs of gum disease. To learn more about tooth and gum problems caused by diabetes, check out the following Web sites, and see the list below:

• National Diabetes Information Clearing House (NIDDK): To download brochure.
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/complications_teeth/

• American Academy of Periodontology: To view free brochure, click second bullet under “Find Out More” section.
http://www.perio.org/consumer/mbc.diabetes.htm

• American Diabetes Association: “Oral Health Topics A-Z.”
http://www.ada.org/public/tipics/diabetes_faq.asp


Signs of Gum Disease
--Red, sore swollen gums
--Bleeding gums
--Gums pulling away from your teeth so your teeth look long
--Loose or sensitive teeth
--Bad breath
--A bite that feels different
--Dentures that do not fit well

Until next time,
Nicole Crawford-Tichawonna
Contributing Editor

2 Comments:

  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger William Clay Marshall said…

    I've found a product that really helps accentuate my gum disease treatment is Cuprident, it's really new, but I don't wake up with muck mouth anymore since I started using the oral rinse at night.

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I once read that our oral health is the reflection of our overall well-being, that's why I always regularly check with one of our Collierville dentists.

    It must be tough for you to be more susceptible to dental problems, but I can see that regular visits to the dentist is also a big help.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home